I may have mentioned my love for breakfast foods before. But honestly, our mornings are crazy. So trying to get a good, filling, healthy breakfast before heading out the door or onto my to-do list can be challenging. Solution? These awesome sandwiches. I knocked out about two dozen of these little gems in half an hour, including baking time. THAT.IS.AWESOME. Wrap ’em in foil, throw them in the freezer (literally) and they are ready for a quick and delicious breakfast. Take that, McD’s!! (kidding) Here’s what you need.
English muffins (or bagels or croissants)
Meat (bacon, ham, sausage patties, liverwurst…just kidding)
Seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic, cayenne
Butter, mayo, etc (optional)
Veggies (onions, peppers, tomato, asparagus, or whatever) – these are great additions right before baking – don’t freeze with these or they will get soggy
Ready to go? Good. First things first. Tear off enough foil pieces to match your muffins, bagels, or croissants. Split open said bread item.
With your oven preheated to 350, crack the eggs into a Whoopie Pie Pan. Don’t laugh. You seriously need this pan. It is per-fect.
I tried a muffin tin for the eggs, and they were too thick. I also tried cracking them one by one into a biscuit cutter on a griddle, but, hello, waaay too long. Bonus, it is super fun to say 🙂 Moving on. Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic, or whatever seasonings you want on the eggs. Cook them for about 15 minutes or until set.
While waiting, prep the veggies (if using, or if baking immediately). Here’s the thing, do not add veggies if you are freezing them – smooshy, sloppy city. Trust me. So what to do? After taking the sandwiches out of the freezer, let them thaw slightly, unwrap them, and add veggies to your heart’s content. If you don’t like crunchy veggies (especially onions) in any way, shape, or form, saute them in olive oil for a few minutes to soften them before adding them to the sandwiches.Get ready to assemble the sandwiches. Set the bottom side of the muffin/bagel in the center of a piece of foil. Spread with butter or mayo if using. Layer the meat, egg, cheese, and veggies (if baking right away – if freezing, don’t add veggies until right before baking). Place top on. Wrap in foil.
- 12 English muffins( or mini bagels, croissants, etc)
- 1 dozen eggs
- 1 lb thick-sliced ham (or bacon or sausage patties)
- 1 lb cheese (any style), sliced
- Assorted veggies (optional): tomatoes, onions, peppers, asparagus, spinach
- Salt, pepper, seasonings of choice
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using a Whoopie cake pan, crack eggs into cups, sprinkle with salt, pepper, and/or seasonings.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until set. Let cool slightly.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Layer sliced ham, 1 egg, cheese (and veggies if baking immediately).
- Top with muffin top 🙂
- Wrap in foil.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until hot and melty 🙂
- Or label and freeze. To bake from frozen, allow to thaw in fridge overnight, add veggies, and bake as normal, or allow to thaw slightly, add veggies, and add 10-15 minutes onto cooking time until hot throughout.